Located in Des Plaines, River Casino is the first casino in the world to have been awarded the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold Certification.
LEED Gold Certification of Rivers Casino is based on a number of green design and construction features that positively impact both the project and the local community.
Some of these sustainability features include:
- 70 percent of the electrical energy consumed by the building over a two-year period is being offset with green power.
- Skylights and Clerestory windows add natural light for guest and employee comfort while saving on lighting costs.
- Casino operations include a single-stream recycling plan, reducing the amount of waste delivered to landfills.
- Occupant sensor-controlled lighting provides lighting when needed and saves energy at other times.
- LED light fixtures in the parking garage and other areas throughout the Casino building save on energy usage as well as maintenance costs.
- Low-flow plumbing fixtures and sensor-controlled faucets reduce water usage by 40 percent.
- Paint and adhesive materials with low levels of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC’s) provide a healthier environment for workers and future inhabitants.
- HVAC system upgrades are intended to provide 16% energy savings, more fresh air supply above a standard design and more comfort for occupants for this building which operates 24 hours a day.
- Systems commissioning is provided to realize operational savings planned in the design. Measurement and verification methods are planned to confirm and assure continued efficient operation of building systems.
- Interior living green walls provide better air quality and comfort.
- The Casino is close to public transportation to promote efficient travel.
- Bike racks are provided for workers and customers and preferred parking is provided for alternate fuel vehicles.
- The stormwater treatment system removes 98.6 percent of total suspended solids from site runoff.
- Installation of landscaping, a multi-level parking structure and white roof reduce the urban heat island effect.
- Complimentary electric car charging stations are provided for customer use. Free valet parking is available to low-emissions and fuel-efficient vehicles.
- Landscaping is largely made up of native and drought tolerant plant species, eliminating the need for irrigation and saving both potable water and hundreds of thousands of dollars.