The Orchard Garden Hotel was built in 2006, using eco-friendly construction materials including concrete made from fly ash, a byproduct of recycling coal, and wood certified by the Forest Stewardship Council as harvested in a sustainable manner.
This hotel offers California’s debut of a guestroom key card energy control system – after opening the guestroom door with the key card, the guest places the card in a discreet box in order to turn on the lights and other room systems. When exiting the room, the guest simply takes the key card, automatically ‘turning off’ the entire room, with the exception of an outlet for charging guest’s electronics. This system has saved nearly 20 percent in energy consumption, paying for itself in less than two years.
These properties set the standard for truly ‘green’ hotels. Both hotels are LEED certified, which is of the world’s most prestigious ‘green’ accolades. The Orchard Garden Hotel was first hotel in California to be LEED certified.
In addition the following sustainability practices are in place at both the Orchard Garden Hotel and the Orchard Hotel:
- When possible, local/organic ingredients are used.
- Both properties are EnergyStar Rated.
- Both properties purchase Verified Emissions Reductions to offset their carbon impact.
- Both are 100% non-smoking hotels.
- Organic, citrus-based cleaning products are used throughout the hotel.
- Water faucets and toilets are ‘low-flow.’
- All lighting is halogen, compact fluorescent or LED.
- Menus/collateral/paper is 100% recycled and soy-based inks used on all collateral and stationery.
- All kitchens compost all waste materials and are meticulous about grease recycling.
- All fabrics are made with recycled polyester and other textiles without chemicals.
- Fabrics are machine-washed to avoid the chemicals that come with dry cleaning.
- They have eliminated small plastic bottles for amenities and replaced them with bulk dispensers.
- They plant a tree for each review posted on TripAdvisor through Plant a Billion Trees.
- Strong supporters of alternative transportation: Commuter checks provided to employees, and bike racks are available.
To demonstrate and verify their sustainability leadership, the Orchard Garden and Orchard Hotel have achieved GS-33 (Silver) Certification by Green Seal – a nonprofit, independent sustainability organization. The Orchard Garden Hotel meets Green SealTM Standard based on waste minimization, water and energy efficiency, hazardous substance handling, and an environmental purchasing policy.
These properties set the standard for truly ‘green’ hotels.