Three Ways to Get Unstuck on Your Sustainability Journey
Last fall, we published a blog entry dedicated to helping you get "unstuck" on your sustainability journey. As the year comes to an end and 2015 is just around the corner, we thought this advice could be helpful so you can start your 2015 sustainability journey off on the right foot! Enjoy:
Do you find yourself turning an idea or a business problem over and over in your head, and no matter the number of Google searches you perform or the number of walks you take, you just can't figure out a way to move forward? We all go through it. The key is knowing how to emerge.
Eric V. Holtzclaw, CEO and founder of Laddering Works, quoted in Inc. Magazine
No matter how successful your sustainability program is, it's likely that at some point you are going to hit a roadblock. Nothing you try will work, and you'll make yourself crazy going around in circles. Sometimes it's helpful to step back and try the three ways to "get unstuck" suggested by Holtzclaw.
LEAN ON A SUPPORT GROUP
There are a number of sustainability communities out there, each with their own unique kind of support. Here are a few of our favorites:
- LinkedIn Groups -- there are literally dozens of green and sustainability-focused groups on LinkedIn. Join a couple that look good, and pose some questions to the group!
- Quora -- while not specifically dedicated to sustainability, there are some fascinating (and brilliant) people who chime in with all kinds of insight. Our latest favorite: What are examples of organzations that produce sustainable clothing and apparel?
- Local green business networking groups -- if you live in (or near) a decent-sized city, chances are that there is at least one group that meets up periodically. Try Net Impact or Green Drinks to get started!
ENLIST AN OUTSIDE EXPERT
Obviously, this one is our favorite options. We love being that "outside expert" that people turn to for coaching and consulting guidance. Whether its a single hour on the phone, a 2-day "sustainability sprint" (where you come to our offices to dive deep and fast into a particular issue), or a 6-month engagement--take advantage of what sustainability experts have to offer. Interested? Contact us for a complimentary consultation.
READ A GOOD BOOK
Here are a few of the gems in our sustainability library that continue to inspire us long after the first reading:
- The Sustainability Advantage, by Bob Willard
- The Next Sustainability Wave, by Bob Willard
- The Fifth Discipline, by Peter Senge
- The Necessary Revolution, by Peter Senge
What do YOU do to get unstuck when it comes to sustainability? Join the conversation on Twitter, where SSC President Jennifer Woofter (@jenniferwoofter) tweets on overcoming sustainability challenges.